I admit that I go straight to the freezer section to pick up veggie burgers for a cookout. It never crosses my mind to make them from scratch. I need to change this mindset.
I found that Cooking Light has a variety of recipes from chickpea burgers to grilled tofu burgers. These burgers are made with fresh ingrediants and from simple recipes.
Go ahead and try out these veggie burger recipes from Cooking Light with me.
I’ve been sick all week and therefore cooking and eating have been the last things on my mind. I don’t know about you, but when I’m sick most foods repulse me and I can only eat certain things that I’m in the mood for.
With that in mind, I won’t share my meals from this week. But, I do want to share some of my favorite meat substitutes.
1. Tofurky Deli Slices- I usually can find Tofurky in either Hickory Smoked or Oven Baked at the food store (I hesitate to type food store because I learned recently that it is an odd saying for grocery store. But I’ve always called it a food store, so why stop now). Back to Tofurky…I have been regularly eating whole wheat bread with tofurky, honey mustard and cheese (pepper jack this week). No veggies on this sandwich. It’s just too good without them. I’ve also been pan frying the sandwich love of mine to melt the cheese and toast the bread..mhmmm. Lesson here is don’t be scared of tofurky.
2. Morningstar Buffalo Chicken Nuggets- with a side of corn of broccoli. This makes a quick and simple meal. They can get a bit soggy in the microwave; much better in the oven. I like to dip them in honey mustard and/or ketchup.
3. Veggie Bacon- Smart or Morningstar brand. I lived off of Smart Bacon and tomato sandwiches last summer. I recently found that I also like the Morningstar version. It conveniently is packaged for the freezer.
4. Smart BBQ- This is heaven on a potato roll. It is a bit sweet, but you can add something hot sauce if you want to spice it up!
5. Mornigstar Turkey Burgers- I love that these have avocado already in them! I enjoy them grilled with fresh salsa and a slice of avocado.
What are your favorite meatless products?